Monday, August 13, 2012

Nice Town, But The Same Pathetic Little Men

Being here in this new town for a month, I have run into, as expected, still more pathetic little men who would like to be musicians.  Out of the five who have replied to my ads, all five made the effort to inform me of all their so called "accomplishements", as well as their many self proclaimed titles, and have said things like, "We pretty much do all the gigs that call for Hawaiian music".  One guys began his reply with, "I am a master guitar player" - he had never played Hawaiian music before, but since he was a "Master", I guess he thought I would bow down to him.  Still another said he was always looking for new projects, more work, and said, "If I can help at all, please let me know".  Well, as with all prospective players and dancers, I send links to my videos - just me playing acoustic versions of Hawaiian songs - and I'll be damned if they don't immediately come at me with their aggression, their marking their territory, proclaiming their accomplishments, and this one guy gave me, "I wish you the best, welcome to Reno, good luck".  When I asked him straight out if he was no longer interested in working with me, he gave me more vague replies.  Poor, pathetic little pissants.

On the dancer front, I had one who sounded very interested and enthusiastic at first, I replied with my usual non presumptuous email, then never heard from her again.  I have another, who seems even more enthusiastic.  We emailed each other a few times, discussing what songs we know, what the shows will contain, and now haven't heard from her all day today, after writing her last night.

I'm not discouraged yet, I've only been here a month, as with anything else, these things take time.  I am, though, a little disgusted with the usual tiny little men and their stupid games.  I continue to look for songs for my bluegrass/folk album, and I'll probably start composing and recording some Hawaiian instrumentals before too long - to present to one of the music libraries that is brokering my songs.

In the meantime, I like this town a lot.  When it starts to cool off a little, I plan to go look for snakes to take pictures of.  Some people think that's crazy, but I don't.  I respect them, but I don't fear them, and I think they know that.

So, the battle continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment