Sunday, June 3, 2018

Underground Country Music, Anyone?

As my here in Lake Tahoe hopefully gets short, thoughts appear - things I want to do once I can head out.

The thing that came to mind just a few minutes ago is that I would like to find some kind of underground country music community.  If such a community exists, it would likely be in Nashville.  There has got to be a circle of folks who can actually play an sing - of a caliber that is not at the horrid low that is the standard in Nashville's mainstream, and in all local venues found in cities and town - there very few that are left, anyway.  This includes what's on the radio, what's being signed by the "Majors", what's on streaming music sites.  I'm sure such a group will not be readily out there where just anybody can find it, so I figure if there is such a bunch of people, it won't be easy to find.  My fantasy is that there are people who can actually play and sing, and where egos are not part of any of the equations.  Egos in this business have been a large contributor to the deterioration of the music biz - from top to bottom.  Remember the days when there were bars, restaurants, dance halls, and other venues where live music flourished?  Well, as we all know, such places are a thing of the past - mostly because the "Majors" have conditioned people to listen to shit, and shit will never be good for business.  Up here in South Lake Tahoe, there are a few places to play, but most of them require the musician to be of the lowest caliber possible.  You can take a look at my previous articles - it explains that a in a little more detail.  In most cities and towns, the very few live music venues are hoarded up by the Ted Kennedys of the world (speaking of the Ted Kennedy who is trying to get total control of the music circuit in Tahoe - and not the now deceased Liberal Democrat ex senator from the upper East Coast).  If you're any good, forget about it, you'll have to get some kind of day job, because Ted will do ANYTHING to lock you out.  And, even if you do manage to get in, it's not ok that he pays $10 an hour.

I digress, sorry.

I would think that such a community does exist, and is probably fairly well guarded, as I'm sure they don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry to come waltzing in there with their half assed playing and singing, and their pathetic egos.  It would make my year if there are players out there who are at least at my level, and better.  It's no fun playing with people who can't play their way out of a wet paper bag, and you don't learn anything from them - except maybe what NOT to do; but I already know what not to do, and I've never cared to do any of it anyway.  I won't know where to begin to look for such a group, I guess just start asking around.  I'll of course, check the underground entertainment papers, but again, I'm sure they don't make it a habit of blurting out the fact that they exist, or where to find them.  Maybe there'll be some kind of coded message, guess I'll see.  I'd experienced the "Open Mic" venues when I was in Nashville 4 or 5 years ago - those places are a joke, and the people who attend them are definitely not going to be part of anything worth associating with.

I wait for my shirts to arrive.  They were promised 4 - 8 weeks from the time I paid and put in my order, it's been almost four months, and still no sign of them - just justifications, excuses, and turnabout from the guy in charge of the factory.  I've been trying to contact other factories, both American and foreign, but so far, none of them have gotten back to me.  I don't mind living in my car if the time is reasonable, but it's gotten way beyond that now.

I just landed four shifts a week (starting next week) at Gunbarrel for the summer, which will bring me some decent income for a while, most of which I will spend on advertising for my clothing line.  I am, though, hoping I won't have to be here for the whole summer, once I have my heart set on moving on, I'm ready to do it yesterday.  It will all work out, though.  One of the things I need a little time to do is to get my new guitar effects unit programmed to where my guitars and fiddle sound the way I want them to sound.  If I am going to be around players of a high caliber, I don't want to show up with an inferior sounding guitar rig, and have to be piddling with it, I need to be ready, SO, I'll spend as much time here as I need to in order to get my system sounding prime.  I also take my Martin to Van Sickle park and sing all my old country songs - for fun, and, to have them ready for when I show up with real players and singers, and possibly others in other parts of the business.  I would love to have my banjo playing somewhat up to par by the time I leave here, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, I think the psychological crack goes deeper than just being able to practice it away.  Being away from the ex has helped my in most ways, but I think the banjo thing goes much deeper.

So, maybe just a few weeks left here in Lake Tahoe, it's been mostly a good run, I've worked, made ok money, been treated well by the folks at Gunbarrel - especially Dan, who is unlike all venue mangers I've crossed paths with.  This is a guy who appreciates a person who gives a crap about what he does, who shows up on time, and who does a good job - this is a guy who will treat a guy with respect when he earns it; and let me tell you how f'n rare that is.  So, thanks Dan, more than I can say.  Other than Gunbarrel, there's not much I can say I like about Lake Tahoe, and I won't miss it when I'm gone.

Ok, I guess that's all I have for now, thoughts racing, but kinda all the same.  So, till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment