Friday, May 9, 2014

On The Wrong End Of "isms"...


After two years of being mostly out of work, I’m beginning to wonder if I may have reached the point in time where I’m just too old to be doing this music thing.  I watch some of the modern acts on TV, and I hear them whenever I’m within earshot of a jukebox or radio.  My observation is that everything is geared towards the youngsters – most department stores, most coffee shops, most clothing stores, most bars and restaurants, and, my main point – music.  I just heard back from an agent who books cruise ships.  I communicated with him a couple of times, told him what I did, and what I didn’t do – basically that I don’t do anything that was recorded after about 1985.  I also told him why – one, that in all my years of being in the business, I never got any requests for any of it, and two, every bone in my body says it’s not for me.  He informed me that anybody they hire for those cruise ships will need to know lots of the modern pop music.  One of the things I thought, was that most who go on those cruises are 40 and over.  In fact, in my experience, the only ones who ever tried to dictate what bands and solos play are the management, entertainment directors, and booking agents – these are people who claim to know what people want, but in reality, they are the least informed, and the most egotistical.  Ever how twisted and stupid it is, this is the way of the world, and me, being one little nobody, I really have no control over it, I don’t make the rules, I just have to live by them.  Oh yeah, and I will never sell out, I will never be a contrived, phony, money mongering whore.  Don’t get me wrong, I still make music, because it’s who I am, but I guess at this point, I don’t have a lot of faith that anything will ever happen for me in this horribly corrupt business that is so full of “isms”, and so full of corruption.

I continue to watch the world, the human race, swirl down the proverbial (and metaphorical) toilet – in just about every way – morally, economically, care and/or compassion for other people; everything is about me, as in, “What do I get out of this, how does anything and everything I do benefit me?”.  My dad said shortly before he died, “I’m glad my life is almost over”, and I guess I feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment