Saturday, August 15, 2026

It's Not About My Volume, It's About Their Ego

So, where I played last night. Here's my commentary:
 
First, I had to be moved inside because it poured rain on the patio - which is covered - but only by some kind of mesh material. So, all the people who were out there, me, my equipment, all moved inside, only for it to clear up ten minutes later to turn out to be a beautiful evening.
So, being stuck inside, I figured I better stay on the acoustic, sit in the corner like a little mouse, and play to myself - which is exactly what I did - up until the very last song of the night. It was If You're Gonna Play In Texas - fiddle song, upbeat. By that time most people in the room had left, there were four young-ish guys sitting way over in the corner, doing their own thing, probably didn't even know I was up there playing. So, I break out the last song, the fiddle, and people from the other room - where the bar is, come scurrying into the room where I was - 12 or 15 of 'em. They're back there by the partition, hootin' and hollerin', dancing, jumping around, and a couple of them came all the way up to the stage to throw money in my tip bucket. It was the only time the whole night where anybody even knew I was up there. Well, as is par for the course, one of the managers sees the people having fun, hootin' and hollerin' and the whole rest of it, and he's so goddam mad he's just jumping up and down. He came up a couple times during the song, to demand I "Turn It Down", the second time, I looked over and said, "I CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT NOW, I'M PLAYING THE SONG!". He went away, and I didn't see him again until he came up while I was tearing down, to hand me my paycheck. He says, "What was that with that last song being so loud?" Me: "It's live music, some songs get louder than others". He also says, "People were complaining for about the last 20 minutes". Anyway, after that, he walked away. After he walked away, I thought, this lying piece of shit, I was on the acoustic all night until the very last song, AND, other than those 4 guys, there was nobody else in the room to be complaining. I thought sure there was going to be a big confrontation, but well, he just walked away. I'm sure I'll be hearing from the person who books me there. I don't know her well enough to even guess what she'll do.
 
You know, cheap people such as that guy, and so many others, they are dishonest right from the start. It's not about my volume, it's about their ego, they just cannot stand to see people having a good time, and me being the cause of it - just cannot stand it. They point at the volume, because they think that will make their bs sound legitimate, but well, it's not legitimate, it's bs. They will do and say ANYTHING to support their thinly disguised ego horseshit. In this case, "People were complaining for the last 20 minutes", which was beyond obvious, a lie (Me being on the acoustic that whole time).
 
Usually I'm the one who spends the rest of the day or night po'd about the whole thing, but for some reason, it entered my head on the way home, "Good, good that I can cause these ego driven little twits like that to foam at the mouth just by getting people up hootin' and hollerin'. As I've said before, this is by no means anything new to me. As long as I sit in the corner like a little mouse and play to myself, and nobody is paying attention, these guys are happy as hell, but as soon as people start having a good time, it's, "OH NO, WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!!!". Par for the course.
 
So, that was my night. Cheap people - ONE GUY out of the whole night.
 
Below is the song that caused this manager to have a conniption.  AND, he was the only person in the place who was mad about what I was doing.  
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment